9.30.2014

Smartphone Plans Make me Feel Dumb

For all of my smartphone using life, my work has paid for my phone and plan. At the time, this seemed like "not-a-big-deal". Sure it was convenient and saved me some undefined amount of money that I never thought about, but how bad could it be to deal with that stuff?

Bad. Very bad.

Now I've started a new job where they do not pay for my phone and plan. I've been cast adrift in the confusing sea of plans and discounts and fine print and OH GOD HELP ME! It turns out that I'm not good at this. I get easily confused trying to keep track of the different prices if I lease the phone, pay for the phone in installments, or just buy the phone outright. And then I have to think about the plans. The PLANS!! Family sharing, individual lines, unlimited, very limited. My brain is feeling delimited.

In the end, the issue is that I keep hoping to find a trick. Some way of configuring the plans and phones that ends up with me not paying $125 or more every month for our phones. Adding $125 to the monthly budget is not exciting, but I'm starting to accept that it is the new normal. Or maybe I'll start a trend and go back to my bar phone. You can still get those, right?

No comments: