Intune's support of Macs is still very new and constantly changing. This causes some issues when it comes to documenting troubleshooting steps. So here are the handful of things I check when I can't get a Mac to enroll in Intune.
If enrolling via DEP:
- Is the serial number listed in Intune's Home->Microsoft Intune->Device enrollment - Apple enrollment->Enrollment program tokens->"your token"?
- If not there, does the serial number need to be added to Home->Microsoft Intune->Corporate device identifiers?
- Does the serial number have a DEP profile assigned to it in Home->Microsoft Intune->Device enrollment - Apple enrollment->Enrollment program tokens->"your token"?
For that last one, sometimes the Mac in the list shows as having a profile assigned, but when clicking on details, it will say "N/A" for assigned profile. In that case, you can manually assign the profile and it will fix that issue. If you see this often, you can also find these anomalies by clicking on the Assign Profile button to see the Macs that don't have a profile assigned, and then assign one.
If enrolling via Company Portal:
- Check all of the above first. A missing serial number will give an error that says something about this being a virtual machine (which it isn't of course, but at least the error is consistent).
- Check that Company Portal is fully updated (uses Microsoft Auto-update)
- Check that the user has the correct license assigned to them for Intune access. I actually don't know what that is, as the license part of my setup is handled by someone else.
- If Company Portal says "couldn't add your device", try quitting Company Portal and then removing the Intune entries from Keychain Access. To find them, locate "enterpriseregistration.windows.net" and then delete the other Microsoft entries with that date/time (within a few seconds).
- If Company Portal is "stuck" on syncing device, it will sometimes start over with the enrollment process. Often the second time around it will work fine. If not, try deleting the Mac's entry from portal.azure.com and then try again.
I think that's it. Hope that helps someone out there!