1.26.2015

Paddington Hits All My Buttons

I wasn't expecting much from Paddington. The trailer was funny and my kids were excited to see it, so it was a good choice for a rainy Sunday.

It turns out that Paddington was really great. It hit quite a few spots that I love in movies.

First off, the story highlights a father's transition from being a worst-first thinking parent to a free-range parent. He went from micro-managing his son's life to actually playing and risk-taking with his son. It was a great message that "putting your kids first" doesn't mean not letting them out of your sight or do anything remotely risky.

Then there was the fantasy in reality moments that I just love in movies. Those moments when something interesting happens that isn't "really" happening, but serves to illustrate an underlying moment. For example, there is a large mural in the family's stairwell of a flowering tree. At the father's lowest moment, all the petals get blown off of the tree. It is a moment that isn't reality, but it reinforces what's happening in reality. There are several moments like that in Paddington. Each one helped the plot move along and never felt superfluous. I loved each one.

And of course it was funny! The trailer does show some great moments, but there are plenty more laughs to be had. I laughed loud and often.

Paddington was very enjoyable. I'm glad we gave this lost bear a chance, too!

No comments: